HOW TO CHOOSE THE PERFECT MAT!
Lets look at the reasons why we use Safety mats or Gymnastics mats before we go out and buy a cheap piece of foam labelled as a “Gymnastics Mat”
Determine WHAT you need a Mat for:
- Are you stretching on it and using it for Yoga or stretching Poses ?
- Are you Cartwheeling, hand-standing or doing Heightened skills like aerials and Round-offs ?
- Are you landing from a height - Bars, Beams, aerial apparatus ?
Determine WHY you need the Mat :
- Extra Padding for comfort to stretch which is sweat proof and easy to clean and portable ?
- For safety to protect wrists / elbows whilst performing a new trick ?
- For landing in case of an accident ?
Mats From Gymnastics Equipment Manufacturers will Guarantee you that not only have they been head injury tested but they are made to be top quality with the highest quality foam, vinyl and/or carpet.
The Types of Matting ;
GENERAL PURPOSE MATS or Single Scatter Mats:
These mats are used for general purposes, Kinder-gym and Gym fun activities, tumbling, aerobics or Judo and wrestling training. General Purpose mats have Vinyl Covers and a core of reconstituted polyurethane high density Foam. These Mats are extremely light weight are offer impact protection. The weight of the heavier mats reduces the movement of mats during use. These are Great if you are needing confidence on learning how to handstand or if you would like a little set up at home which provides protection on ground work. Strength workouts , flexibility training etc.. These mats are usually under 10cm thickness
Supersoft, Hardsoft and soft Landing Mats :
Usually known as Crash Mats. These mats are for improved safety on landing when learning new skills. Generally the thicker the mat, the greater the safety. Vinyl covers usually have heavy duty zips and webbing handles. Supersoft mat foam core is polyurethane high density foam. These mats are usually over 20cm thickness to 60cm thickness and provide safety from a heightened fall.
Floor Tumbling Carpeted strips:
These Mats or landing strips are great for Cheerleading, Gymnastics and all tumbling activities or in a multi purpose area for kinder gym, aerobics, general exercise, and martial arts. These mats have excellent rebound characteristics which make these great for cheer and artistic Gymnastics flooring. These are closed cell resilient foam covered with needle punched polyolefin fibre carpet.
BOXES/ SHAPES MATTING ;
Padded Platforms or box like mats are used extensively for special training purposes, padding platforms can be used for KinderGym , Flexibility over stretches, strength training purposes for instance box jumps or in a safe “parkour Ninja” training Setting. Coaches also use these whilst spotting there gymnasts or aerialists to be at there level to the apparatus to be there whilst spotting a new Trick. Other uses are to mount an apparatus such as a balance beam. Shaped Mats such as Padded foam steps are used for mounting beams also or for KinderGym setting.
Octagonal Mats, Cylinders , backflip and Back handspring trainers are becoming more and more popular to have a home whilst learning a new tumbling trick to practice with a safe spot without it moving around. These will also build confidence in going forward or backward when performing a skill like a back handspring or back flip with the feet and hands leaving the ground at the same time.
All Mats that are manufactured from a Branded Gymnastics equipment manufacturer will ensure they are covered with tough fire retardant vinyl cover for indoor or outdoor use.
Wedge mats are also great tumbling mats from Young kinderGym Gymnasts for forward and backward rolls, for elite gymnasts as part of a circuit for handsprings, handstands against a wall and other uses for Cheerleading also.
WHY BUY FROM A GYMNASTICS MANUFACTURER ?
- Guarantee head injury tested
- Most have options for F.I.G Approved (Olympic Specifications)
- Treated against Mildew and rot
- Stabilised against ultra violet rays
- Will last for years and years and years
- Durable Fire retardant Vinyl
- Usually Customisation of Products for your specific needs.
- Mats and protective equipment are not the complete answer to eliminating or reducing injuries. It is more important that falls be prevented rather than to assume that mats will make the fall safe!
- Additional mats cannot safeguard against careless progression or escalated learning at the expense of control and ability.
- Landing on the head or landing in an out of control position can result un serious injuries regardless of extra mats
- Some good common sense and logic needs to be exercised in determining the size and number of mats needed for a particular activity.
- It would be most difficult to establish absolute mat requirements for every situation
- In a gymnasium, mats should never idle. There is always a place for additional mats.
- Mats are not fail-safe. There is no substitute for proper instruction, spotting and good common sense in the teaching of Gymnastics.
Check out the Mats we sell. Leap Flip and Fly Pride ourselves on delivering High customer Service and Providing Equipment which is Australian Made. We are 100% Australian owned and Operated Business.
If you would like more information On how to choose you perfect mat for Home use or if you are setting up your own studio, Club or portable Gym then you can always contact us directly.
0437756531 / firstname.lastname@example.org
or any Custom colour or Order Please contact..